A few weeks ago, the NFL announced that the 2018 Super Bowl will be played in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Shortly after the announcement I started to debate with a few friends (including R.H.) After a spirited discussion, I said that I would write a blog post with my thoughts about my preferences for the next few big games!
Before I do that, I want to share some background about the Superbowl venue selection: The game has been played (or is scheduled to be played) in 22 different stadiums covering 15 different regions.
Okay, now, here is my analysis of the selections!
- Glendale, Arizona 2015 Great choice from a weather perspective and the stadium is beautiful. Having said that, I would move this game to Los Angeles, California. Great weather with fantastic beaches. Even if you can’t swim in February, you can still go for a walk on the beach. I would use the Super Bowl as a springboard to get an NFL team back to the Los Angeles area.
- Santa Clara, California 2016 – This is a solid pick BUT of course I need to move it. I would actually move it to the Midwest and Chicago, Illinois would be my host city. Lots of hotels, centrally located in the United States, two major airports, private airports and a ton of football history! Soldier Field has been renovated and to play the big game there would be amazing.
- Houston Texas 2017 – I have no idea why they chose this place or why they played two other Super Bowls there. This is an easy trade for me but very controversial. I say, the biggest game of the year goes to one of the craziest cities and biggest tourist attractions in the country…Las Vegas, Nevada. Why not play the game at a new stadium called Wynn Park that’s located 7 miles from the strip and seats 90,000 people?! Come on, time to dream…how amazing would this be?!
- Minneapolis, Minnesota 2018 Are you kidding me?! Why?! Yes, they will have a new stadium but it is winter and there’s not a ton to do there. This game has got to be moved and it’s time to give Jerry and his famous stadium another shot. I say move this game to Arlington, Texas!
So, I ask you:
- What do you think about the NFL picks?
- What do you think about my Super Bowl city picks?
- What locations would you like to see host the Big Game?
I look forward to reading your comments.